13 January 2013

Top albums of 2012

Yet again, another subjective album list. My criteria is simple: it has to make me hit the play button once the last song is finished.

My standout tracks are pretty much picked the same way - the songs (not necessarily singles) that I play over and over.


P.O.D. - Murdered Love

Standout track: "This Is Forever" - reuniting with their "Satellite" producer has resulted in a great-sounding bunch of songs, but this is my favourite.



Thousand Foot Krutch - The End Is Where We Begin

Standout track: "Light Up The Sky", where they veer into Rage Against The Machine territory.



Of Monsters And Men - My Head Is An Animal

Standout track: "Little Talks"



Zac Brown Band - Uncaged

Standout track: "Island Song", where blues and country sit down with reggae and have a jam.

Silversun Pickups - Neck Of The Woods

Standout track: "Skin Graph"



Lamb Of God - Resolution

Standout track: "Insurrection".

Demon Hunter - True Defiance

You can always rely on DH to include a good melodic ballad or two on each album. Here, they provide a few more (plus a couple bonus songs on the deluxe edition). And the metal tracks are just as heavy as ever. I'm so looking forward to see them live at last, at Easterfest 2013.
Standout track: "Crucifix".




And now, the top 3...

Becoming The Archetype - I AM


The other metal band I'm still waiting to see Down Under. Grooving heavy metal with harsh growling, beautiful harmonies, intricate melodies and haunting instrumentals.

Standout track: "I AM".



The Classic Crime - Phoenix


I was a Kickstarter backer of this album project, so clearly I'm a fan, but this album was close to my absolute favourite this year. I love the way Matt McDonald works specific Seattle references into their songs.
Standout track: "City Of Orphans".



Third Day - Miracle

The best thing they've done since "Wherever You Are", and it's fast becoming my favourite album of theirs. Favourite album of 2012.
Standout track: "I Want To Believe In You".





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...