30 September 2013

Vigilant (2 of 3)

This is a continuation of a piece of fiction. If you haven't read Part 1, it starts here.

Otherwise, read on...





/// OFFICIAL LOG 231.099.412.007 ///
/// TRANSCRIPT BEGINS ///
AH: Ship's log. Harmon speaking. We've been having trouble with our engines. Something's stopping them from running. That's the only explanation I can think of. Everything seems to check out, in every test scenario. But in actual practice, it's all a dud. The jungle is closer than ever, but seems to be slowing down. The vegetation, if it is such, does not appear to be overly hostile, merely cautious. Strange word for plants, but it's cautious. We're getting less sun on our solar panels, but that shouldn't be enough to harm us. The plants are just watching us.
/// TRANSCRIPT ENDS ///

/// OFFICIAL LOG 231.099.412.008 ///
/// TRANSCRIPT BEGINS ///
AH: Ship's log. Captain Harmon speaking. According to the onboard timer, this is our fourteenth day on this planet. Apparently it's morning back home. I'd give anything to see the suns again. The plants outside are slowly blocking out more and more of the sun. Light still gets through to us, but it's only direct sunlight for a few hours in the middle of the day. They're not only sentient, I'm convinced of that, but it's like their minds are all they've got. Or maybe it's one mind, shared between them. It's like I get thoughts, or say something I don't understand, and then can't remember it. I think it's affecting Ferris and Mason as well. The plants are sentient, I'm convinced of that. And I think they're using their minds, or mind, against us.
[footsteps]
AH: Ah, yes, Mace?
/// TRANSCRIPT ENDS ///

/// OFFICIAL LOG 231.099.412.009 ///
/// FILE DELETED ///
/// AUTHORISATION FERRIS B SCL 07304 ///

/// OFFICIAL LOG 231.099.412.010 ///
/// TRANSCRIPT BEGINS ///
AH: Ship's log. Harmon speaking. Day sixteen.
[footsteps]
AH: Can I help you, Mace?
JM: It's the plants, isn't it, sir. Can you hear them singing? Here we are, sitting in a tin can, on a far, forgotten world. Plants are tall and blue, and there's nothing we can do. It's in my head, is it in your head?
AH: Mason, I think you'd better lie down. You too, Mason.
JM: OK, Captain. I'll lie down. And I'll lie down. If you like, I'll lie down.
AH: That's enough.
[footsteps]
BF: Hey, guys.
JM: Bruiser want a bruise?
BF: Hey, Mace, settle down.
JM: I can see it in your eyes, both of you. They've got to you. The plants have got to you. You can't fool me. You're trying to kill me.
AH: We're not trying to - Mace, come on.
BF: Mace!
/// TRANSCRIPT ENDS ///

/// OFFICIAL LOG 231.099.412.011 ///
/// TRANSCRIPT BEGINS ///
JM: Ship's log, Delta Five Vigilant. Lieutenant Mason speaking. The Captain is dead. Bruiser's wounded. He fades in and out of... there's moments he makes sense, then he just jibbers away like, I don't know, [expletive deleted], none of this makes any sense. Oh, sorry. It'll get deleted anyway, I suppose. It's crazy. It's getting dark again. I'd better go check the battery reserve.
[scraping sound]
[footsteps]
/// TRANSCRIPT ENDS ///

/// OFFICIAL LOG 231.099.412.012 ///
/// TRANSCRIPT BEGINS ///
JM: Vigilant log. Mason speaking. Bruiser's better physically, but I don't know about mentally. Shh... I think he's coming.
[silence]
JM: No, he's not. I'm all alone in the cockpit. It's barely light outside, but I'm not risking it. If anything, the jungle looks closer. Like the whole thing's just sitting there watching, creeping closer and closer one [expletive deleted] inch at a time. It's going to kill us off, I know it. But I won't let it catch me sleeping. Keep watch, that's what I'll do. When Bruiser's better, we'll take shifts. Watch our backs, like we should.
[silence]
JM: Yeah.
/// TRANSCRIPT ENDS ///


© 2003 Glenn Davies

To be concluded...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...